Thursday 15 September 2011

Iowa & Nebraska - The river is closed???

Due to serious flooding over the summer many parts of the Yellowstone and Missouri Rivers were closed to all boating traffic. I had been lucky that by the time I reached the closed sections they had been reopened, up until yesterday that is. The section of the Missouri that goes through Iowa and Nebraska has been closed all summer but I have heard that it all reopens September 15th. The water is running fast though not as fast as places up north and the river level is dropping. Means that I get the next 300kms all to myself.

Passed through Sioux City which is probably the biggest city I have visited on the river. The weather has turned cold with it dropping to o degrees overnight. As the days and weeks pass my tent continues its terminal decline. I has now reached the point that is it rains I must make sure to wear my raincoat in the tent. And now its off to Omaha.

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I saw you on my local news tonight and wondered if you blog about your travels. So glad to see that you do!! I'm putting your blog on my blog page so I can follow your adventures! So awesome to 'virtually' meet you, Dirk!

    Safe travel and many blessings!
    ~Coreen Trost

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great trip! Can't wait to back read your posts. I belong to Missouri River Relief. We're a non-profit that cleans up the Missouri River. This fall we are living on a "trash barge" doing a month and a half clean-up from mid-Missouri to St. Louis. We hope when you pass Jefferson City you'll get ahold of us so we can serve you dinner on the barge! Look forward to meeting you...

    Have a safe trip, stay warm and dry, and we'll see you on the river!

    Steve Schnarr
    Missouri River Relief
    steve@riverrelief.org
    cell: 573.289.2077
    check out our fall project, called the Big Muddy Clean Sweep:
    http://www.riverrelief.org/updates/entry/big-muddy-clean-sweep

    ReplyDelete