Tuesday 9 August 2011

Wilston, North Dakota - Missouri River

Well yesterday arvo I hit the Missouri River and bid farewell to the Yellowstone. Put in a strong day covering over 60kms then messed it all up with one of my 'famous shortcuts' which saw me back at the starting spot 2 hours later. To make things even more interesting recent flooding meant there was no dry land so ended up pitching tent at 9pm on what I though was the yard of an abandoned house.
I love visiting towns along the way though often this involves a lot of work. Due to the threat of flooding towns will often be 5 - 10kms from the river which often involves long slogs up hills, though forests and on ocassion in someones car. Sadly with the advent of the car many of the towns I have visited are shadows of their former selves with the main streets boarded up and all commerce moved out to Wal Mart on the Highway. The price of development I guess.

And now I have a long 210km stretch of nothing along Lake Sakakawea so hopefully the weather and winds will be favourable. Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment