Wednesday 3 August 2011

Livingston , Montana to MIles City 507kms or 318 miles

So after several relaxing days in Bozeman, Montana with Robert and Evonne I finally put the kayak into the Yellowstone River. Evonne ensured that I ddnt go hungry the first couple of days by stocking me with cookies and bread and Robert to care of the transportation aspect while fighting off a Diamondback Rattlesnake.


To say that the first couple of days was a learning experience would be an understatement. Due to record rainfall the river was running higher and faster than I expected with a host of challenging rapids and rough water. Within the first minute I was in rough water and by the fifth minute I was in danger of sinking. While I quickly learnt the best way to tackle the rapids, the first three days were filled with moments of controlled panic and a lot of roller coaster like fun. Sadly a couple several days behind me misjudged one set of rapids and drowned.

After the first three days the rough water lessened and the river slowed down. First week is always a case of working out what goes where on the canoe and what can be disposed of aside from ripping out the pages of books as I go. The countryside has gone from towering mountains covered in trees to small hills with very few towns in between. Often I have to walk 5kms into town which often turns out to be little more than a gas station. Due to small dams across the river on three ocassions so far I have had to drag the kayak around them. Not that difficult but a pain all the same. Recent oil spill from a refinery three weeks back meant a 100 mile stretch of water was suppose to be oil tainted making drinking a little hard. Passwed that now so drinking river water like mad - doesnt taste good in tea. Currently in the bustling town of Miles City but will be moving on within the hour. Should be out of Montana and into North Dakota by the end of the week.

6 comments:

  1. Wow. Already having quite the adventure it seems. Loving your pics and words. Be safe and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures... the last one is particularly evocative. How far did you wal to get to that town? I miss being job-less and free... but really HAPPY not to be drinking tainted water, battling mosquitos and sleeping in a tent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, try to have a near-drowning experience so you can tell me if there's really a tunnel of light or anything. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have fun, remember to paddle upstream !,,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to read about this and to see your photos. Should I tell you not to have TOO many adventures? Kay and John

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I think that you've missed a turn. That last photo looks like you've landed in Tombstone!

    ReplyDelete